I like to cook my spinach in a microwave-safe bowl for about 8 minutes, then run under cold water then squeeze very dry, before I use it in a recipe, it will take the bitter taste out of the spinach, of coarse this is only optional.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (cooked until crisp then crumbled, you can use more or less)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (thawed and hand-squeezed dry)
- 1 1⁄2 cups old cheddar cheese, grated (can use more or lesss)
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2-quart round or oval baking dish.
- In a bowl combine/whisk sour cream, egg yolks, flour, cayenne or black pepper; set aside.
- In another bowl beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir in the egg whites into the sour cream mixture.
- Sprinkle HALF of the spinach into the bottom of the dish.
- Top with HALF of the sour cream mixture.
- Sprinkle HALF of the cheddar cheese over the sour cream mixture, then sprinkle ALL of the crumbled bacon on top of the sour cream.
- Repeat layers ending with grated cheddar cheese (spinach, sour cream mixture then cheese on top).
- In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and melted butter.
- Sprinkle evenly over the top layer of cheese in the dish.
- Bake uncovered for about 30-35 minutes, or until egg mixture is set.
- Let stand 8 minutes (or more) before serving.