Recipe by mersaydees
Based on a recipe from Bob Greene’s book, The Best Life Diet Cookbook. He says, “This eggless, frittata-like dish makes a filling, savory breakfast. It is delicious just out of the oven, reheated, or served at room temperature.” I freeze this and take to work for lunch sides or snacks -- it's fantastic! To roast garlic: separate a head of garlic into cloves leaving the papery skin intact; lightly and evenly coat the cloves with cooking spray and place on a sheet pan; roast in preheated 375°F oven until soft to the touch, about 20 minutes; cool; peel off papery skin and use immediately or store tightly covered in the ‘fridge for 5 days.
Top Review by magpie diner
The concept of this recipe is 5* for me - a 'quiche' alternative for those of us who don't eat eggs, and as a bonus, an interesting way to use nutritious quinoa. The tart cooked up really well (I used a tart tin) and it was firm enough to slice once it cooled a little. It didn't quite hit the mark for me on the flavour side. The roasted garlic flavour didn't come through, maybe it just needed more. Cooking the quinoa in broth might be a nice flavour tweak, and/or adding some "nooch" or pesto to the tofu mixture. There are lots of flavour combos you might work into this idea. I'll definitely come back to this next time I need a brunch sort of dish. Thanks Mersaydees, I enjoyed making this.
- 1 cup quinoa, raw and rinsed
- 1 lb silken tofu
- 3 garlic cloves, roasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, such as sage, rosemary, thyme, and oregano, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add quinoa to medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and remove to large bowl.
- In a food processor, process the tofu, roasted garlic, and oil until completely smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add tofu mixture to the quinoa and stir in the spinach, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Prepare a 9-inch pie pan by coating with cooking spray. Pour in the quinoa mixture and place in oven for 30 minutes.