Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Rachael Ray
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 inches piece gingerroot, peeled and grated (or cut into very thin matchsticks)
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 medium bok choy, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces, then cut lengthwise into sticks
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup seafood stock or 1 cup clam juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1⁄2 lb vermicelli
- 4 scallions, cut into 3-inch pieces, then sliced lengthwise into thin sticks
- Heat a medium soup pot over med-high heat.
- Add in the vegetable oil, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, and bok choy; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add in the chicken stock and seafood stock; put the lid on the pot and bring the soup to a boil.
- Add in the shrimp and noodles; cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in the scallions; cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the soup sit for 2-3 minutes more.
- Adjust seasoning and serve.
Outstanding! We used button mushrooms, bite-sized egg noodles, and clam juice. Leftovers were delicious too. If you have homemade broth, it adds so much flavor. Would also be good with broccoli in place of the bok choy.
I actually found this recipe on FoodTV.com, but upon checking, found it posted here. Great! This is my preferred site, so I'm glad it's already here. I made this with fine rice sticks instead of vermicelli, used fish sauce instead of salt (but added a good amount of sea salt at the end), and added a drizzle of toasted sesame oil. Also instead of 1 quart of chicken broth and 1 cup of seafood stock, I used 3 cups homemade shrimp broth and 2 cups chicken broth. Delicious! My husband said, "you can make this soup anytime."
My MIL made this, but she used wonton noodles and made it more of a soup! She used the clam juice because she couldn't find the seafood stock! I loved it!!