Recipe by evelyn/athens
By Karen and Ben Barker, from Fine Cooking, issue #47. I have slightly adapted this recipe as I wanted a bit more spice to these sweet potatoes. This is a great addition to any holiday spread.
Top Review by i am sierra blue in black
didn't know what to do when friends stopped by at dinner time. i whipped up these potatoes while hubby bbq'd chicken and everyone raved and demanded the recipe for the potatoes!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, more for the pan
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika (regular is fine if you don't have smoked)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, preferably the same size and shape, peeled, halved crosswise, and quartered lengthwise (2 lb. total)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 400°F Lightly butter a large Pyrex or ceramic baking dish that can hold the sweet potato wedges in one layer.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the honey, orange juice, and spices. Put the sweet potatoes in the buttered baking dish, add the honey mixture, and toss the pieces well to coat them thoroughly. Arrange the sweet potatoes in a single layer; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast until the potatoes are browned and tender and the juices are bubbly and thickened, 45 to 55 minutes. To ensure even roasting, stir and baste several times with the pan juices, doing so more frequently toward the end of roasting. Serve at once.