Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Be sure to use extra firm tofu and press out as much of the water as you can. To prevent sticking, give the tofu slices and the grill rack a generous coat of nonstick cooking spray. Cooking time includes marinading the tofu for 4 hours. This is from VT May/June 2006.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained and cut lengthwise into 8 slices
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup low-sodium tamari or 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place the tofu slices on several layers of paper towels and cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 20 minutes, pressing down occasionally with your hands to squeeze out the water.
- Place the tofu in a single layer in the bottom of a 13x9 glass baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, maple syrup, tamari, chile paste, garlic, and pepper.
- Pour mixture over the tofu, stirring to coat all the slices.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When the tofu is marinated and ready to cook: Spray grill rack or pan with nonstick cooking spray. Heat grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- Place tofu slices on the grill. Reserve the marinade.
- Grill tofu 3 or 4 minutes on each side, or until the outside is browned and crisp.
- Return tofu to the baking dish and toss the slices with the reserved marinade.
- Serve immediately.
Simple and really good! Thanks for posting the recipe.
Delicious! I marinated overnight and the tofu really soaked up the flavors. I used my stovetop cast iron grill pan and it worked perfectly. We will be having this again.
Awesome. Of course I made adjustments based on what I had on hand. I used the juice of 1 lime plus 1/4 cup of OJ, substituted agave for the maple syrup, and used sweet chili sauce instead of chili paste. I also have a vacuum sealer so I only had to marinate 45 minutes using the vacuum sealer. I reserved the marinade after removing the tofu and basted the tofu while it grilled. Fantastic!!