Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great Soup on a weeknight
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, sliced lengthwise, cut into 6-inch lengths, and smashed
- 1 piece fresh ginger, 3 inches, sliced 1/2-inch thick (or you can use a couple of tablespoons of the gourmet garden ginger in the tube, which I use all the)
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, end trimmed, halved lengthwise, and seeded
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 chicken breast halves, diced
- 1 1⁄2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk (I used the Ã lightÃ coconut milk that Trader Joes sells)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 limes, juice of
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (optional)
- 6 ounces snow peas
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- Heat oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add lemongrass, ginger, red pepper and jalapeno and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and brown.
- Carefully add stock, coconut milk, fish sauce (if using) lime juice and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add snow peas and cook until snow peas are cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Top with basil and cilantro sprinkled over the top. Serve.