Recipe by hepcat1
This comes from a special BHG publication called "Chicken". I really like fried chicken and I love spicy, so this is one of my favorites when I'm looking for something easy and comforting. The original amount of spices called for makes this dish so-so spicy, so I double the cayenne (original recipe calls for 1/2 tsp). Cooking time includes time to marinate.
Top Review by Mommy Diva
Very nice fried chicken recipe! I marinated the chicken overnight and it was very tender and juicy (thanks to the buttermilk, anyone who hsan't tried this is missing out on one of natures great cooking secrets!) I used a habanero hot sauce from Panama - LOVELY (used more of that and the cayenne than you called for) - but we really like hot and spicy. We thought it was still only mildly spicy and will increase again for the next time- but great!!! Definitely a recipe we will make again! Thanks for posting!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs meaty chicken pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- shortening or cooking oil, for deep frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Skin chicken if desired.
- Mix together buttermilk, hot pepper sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl or large plastic bag; add chicken and turn to coat.
- Chill for 2- 24 hours, turning occasionally to keep chicken well coated.
- Drain chicken in a colander until well drained; discard buttermilk mixture.
- Mix together flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a bowl or large plastic bag; add chicken a few pieces at a time and turn or shake to coat well; tap off excess flour.
- Melt shortening or oil in a deep, heavy 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches 365 degrees.
- Carefully place chicken, meaty sides down, in hot shortening/oil.
- Cook chicken, uncovered, for 10 minutes (temperature will drop when you add chicken, so don't begin timing until all chicken is added).
- Use tongs to turn chicken; cook for an additional 10- 12 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from skillet and drain well.