Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Makes a big master mix - can be used in drinks, soups & stews. A great use for late summer tomatoes. Mmmm good! From the Food & Drink weekly guide in the LA Times.
- 6 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced (juices reserved)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Crystal)
- 2 teaspoons horseradish, minced fresh
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon pepper, fresh ground
- 6 ounces vodka
- coarse salt
- 6 green beans, pickled (or 6 stalks celery with leaves, for garnish)
- Blend the tomatoes, lemon and lime juice, Worcestershire, garlic, hot sauce, horseradish, salt, Old Bay, celery seed and pepper until smooth. Cover and chill until needed. This recipe makes 6 to 7 cups, depending on the size of the tomatoes; the mix will keep for 1 week.
- To assemble 6 servings:.
- In a pitcher, combine the mix and vodka.
- If desired, dampen the rims of 6 old-fashioned glasses and dip them in coarse salt. Fill each glass halfway with ice, then divide the Bloody Marys among them.
- Garnish each with a pickled bean or celery stalk, and serve.