Recipe by hxnnxh
I experimented with some empanada recipes I found and added some of my favorite ingredients to come up with these delicious spicy beef empanadas, which was an instant hit at the dinnerparty with my girlfriends. Now I have to make them at every gettogether.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 5 shallots, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 -3 red chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 ounces concentrated tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon habanero sauce
- 1⁄2 lemon, squeezed
- 3 large hardboiled egg, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 8 sheets puff pastry
- 2 eggs, beaten (for glaze)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven at 375°F Pour some cooking oil in a skillet and press cloves over the pan.nAdd chopped shallots and fry on low heat, until soft but not browned. Add a bit of salt and the chopped red chili pepper.
- Add ground beef and let brown on med-high heat. Drain the mixture put back in skillet. Add bell pepper and cook on high for about a minute.
- Turn heat to med-low and add cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, flour, and tomato sauce. Turn off the stove and let cool to room temperature.
- Now mix some worcestershire sauce (to taste, I love it and put it in practically everything, but can be omitted), vinegar, lemon juice, habanero pepper sauce (or tabasco). To add a hint of sweetness, I add tomato ketchup, about 5 tbs.Stir in chopped egg, jalapenos and cilantro. Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Let pastry thaw and cut 5" circles.
- Put pastry on baking sheet. Put about a spoonful of the meat mixture on one half of the circle. Put some beaten egg on the edges and fold. press edges with a fork. Put some more egg mixture over the empanadas for glaze. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 mins until golden brown.