1/2 Photos of Spicy Banh Mi
This is a vegetarian version of a Vietnamese street food sandwich! Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine-May 2010.
My Private Note
large s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 0.5 (6 ounce) package extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4-1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded daikon radish (or regular red radish)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 French baguette, split in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper, suace (like Sriracha)
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 slices cucumbers (6 inch)
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 6 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves, torn
- 2Coat the bottom of a skillet with olive oil and sesame oil over medium high heat. Lightly dredge the tofu cubes in the cornstarch. Add the tofu to the skillet and saute 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to plate; sprinkle with the soy sauce and toss with the nutritional yeast.
- 4Mix the vinegar, honey, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Add the radish and carrot, and stir to mix. Set aside.
- 5Let stand 15-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Preheat oven to 350*F. Place baguette on baking sheet, and crisp 5 minutes in the oven. Cool 2-3 mintues.
- 7Spread mayonnaise on both sides of bread. Sprinkle with red chile sauce and tamari. Fill with the tofu cubes, cucumber, and cilantro. Drain carrot/radish mixture and spread on sandwich. Top with tomatoes and lettuce. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Press top half of baguette on sandwich, adn slice sandwich in half. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Banh Mi
Serving Size: 1 (489 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.5
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 776.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 19.4 g
- Protein 24.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: