- 1 ounce pine nuts
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup grated gouda cheese, divided, more if desired
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oil in frying pan. Preheat broiler.
- Add pine nuts and shallots to frying pan and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add asparagus to pan and season with cayenne pepper. Cook for about two minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the white wine, honey, salt and pepper (to taste). Add to asparagus and cook until asparagus is done (in my opinion, crispy to the bite).
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until well blended.
- Whisk in milk gradually until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and whisk in 3/4 cup cheese until melted and blended.
- Spoon sauce on top of asparagus.
- Add remaining gouda and place under broiler until cheese is bubbly.