Recipe by bearwacket
Thick and flavorful recipe for the last of the tomatoes. You can probably use it as a sauce, too. I roasted 5 medium-sized, coarsely chopped fresh tomatoes in the toaster oven at 400 degrees for about half an hour. Or you could use canned.
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil or 1 tablespoon other neutral oil
- 2 tablespoons diced onions
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 cups tomatoes, roasted, including juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat, add onion and cook until soft.
- Stir in flour and keep stirring until flour is cooked.
- Gradually add milk and cook until heated and it starts to thicken.
- Add spices, basil, and tomatoes and puree with an immersion blender or in a regular blender.
- Cook until heated through.