Recipe by Joy1996
This is from a Taste of Home cookbook. Absolutely delicious!
Top Review by LilPinkieJ
I used this recipe for my 6yo DD's birthday cake. It was a smashing success! I left out the nuts due to allergies, but they weren't missed. I used this Homemade Cherries recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/152586
- 1 1⁄3 cups butter or 1 1⁄3 cups margarine, softened and divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices, drained
- 10 -12 maraschino cherries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2/3 cup butter; stir in brown sugar.
- Spread in the bottom of an ungreased heavy 12-inch skillet or a 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer over the sugar mixture; place a maraschino cherry in the center of each.
- Sprinkle with pecans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine the dry ingredients; add alternately with the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition.
- Carefully pour over the pineapple.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes for a skillet, and 50-60 minutes for a baking pan, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- IMMEDIATELY invert onto serving platter.