Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1 cup molasses or 1 cup sorghum
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup brandy or 1⁄4 cup fruit juice or 1⁄4 cup coffee
- George Washington's mother's recipe uses no ginger.
- Fruit juice or coffee may be substituted for brandy.
- Cream shortening and orange rind together.
- Add brown sugar gradually and cream thoroughly.
- Blend in well beaten eggs.
- Beat hard for 1-2 minutes to make a smooth batter.
- Sift flour, soda, salt and spices together and add to creamed mixture alternately with the molasses and mix of orange juice/brandy.
- Add raisins.
- Pour in well greased and floured 8" X 12" X 2-1/2" pan. bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.