- George Washington's mother's recipe uses no ginger.
- Fruit juice or coffee may be substituted for brandy.
- Cream shortening and orange rind together.
- Add brown sugar gradually and cream thoroughly.
- Blend in well beaten eggs.
- Beat hard for 1-2 minutes to make a smooth batter.
- Sift flour, soda, salt and spices together and add to creamed mixture alternately with the molasses and mix of orange juice/brandy.
- Add raisins.
- Pour in well greased and floured 8" X 12" X 2-1/2" pan. bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.