Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Real Simple
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef (80 to 85 percent lean)
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 store-bought refrigerated rolled pie crusts
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lime zest
- Heat oven to 375º F. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the raisins, ketchup, cinnamon, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Using a 2½-inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles from the piecrusts. Divide the beef mixture among the circles, brush the edges with water, fold in half, and press with a fork to seal. Transfer to a baking sheet and brush with the egg. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Put the sour cream in a small bowl and sprinkle with the lime zest. Serve with the empanadas.
These empanadas are really tasty and they make a great appetizer. I made the sour cream dipping sauce and also served them with some queso. Definitely a keeper -- love the fact that they can be made from ready-made pie crusts and baked off in a matter of minutes. Made for Spring PAC, 2014.