Prep 3 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Speculaas, dutch spiced biscuit. Traditionally the dutch eat this biscuit around the 5th of December together with warm chocolate milk. Also taste very nice with coffee !
- 200 g self raising flour
- 125 g soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons allspice
- 1 pinch salt
- 150 g chilled butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Combine the cake flour, brown sugar, all spice and salt.
- Cut butter into pieces and mix into the flour in a food processor.
- Add milk and you should now have a firm dough ball.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and allow to rest in a cool place for atleast 2 hours, but preferably for a day to draw out the spice flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celcius, roll out the dough into a rectangle about 1cm thick.
- Place this onto a lined baking tray and bake the spiced biscuit in the oven for about 30 minutes until done.
- Cool the biscuit on a wire rack.
- To serve: Break the biscuit into pieces and serve with warm chocolate milk.
I followed the list of ingredients but changed the method slightly. After chilling the mixture for several hours I rolled the mixture into balls and flattened slightly to make biscuits (cookies) Yummo!! T hese were crispy, buttery & spicy treats!