Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 mins
Rubbing ripe tomatoes over garlic toast may seem strange. But it's a tradition in Spain, where it's common to find a plate of tomatoes and garlic on the table, waiting for the toast to arrive. The crisp toast almost melts the garlic and the tomatoes, which compliment the crunchy kosher salt. Very ripe tomatoes and a heary, dense bread work best.
- 8 (2 ounce) sourdough bread, slices
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 4 small tomatoes, each cut in half crosswise (about 1/4 lb)
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (or sea salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Place bread slices on grill rack (or under broiler).
- Grill bread 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Rub 1 side of each bread slice with 1 garlic clove half and 1 tomate half (tomato pulp will rub off onto bread).
- Discard tomato peels.
- Drizzle 1/2 tsp olive oil over each bread slice; sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.