Serve this spaghetti with Elsa's Sausage, peppers and onions. If you like it hot use extra spicy Italian sausage. This recipe is Rachel Ray's moms recipe. The addition of the butter is unique but it works, and what doesn't taste better with a little butter in it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (3 turns of the pan)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (recommnded San Marzano)
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1Bring a lare pot of water to a boil.
- 2Salt the water and add pasta.
- 3Cook to al dente.
- 4Heat a medium sauce pan over medium low heat.
- 5Add extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and red pepper. Let cook for 5 minutes, garlic will be soft and light golden.
- 6Remove garlic.
- 7Add stock or wine and stir 30 seconds, add tomatoes and combine.
- 8Season the sauce with salt to taste, then stir basil in and reduce heat to low.
- 9When pasta is cooked, turn off the heat drain the pasta then add it back to the still hot deep pot.
- 10Add butter to spaghetti and toss to melt and coat.
- 11Add half the red sauce and all of the cheese, work in a handful at a time as you toss to combine.
- 12To serve, use tongs to swirl the pasta into buttery cheesy mounds to pile onto each plate.
- 13Top each portion with spoonfuls of remaining sauce.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Ala Elsa
Serving Size: 1 (472 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 734.4
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.2 mg
- Sodium 1053.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 25.5 g