Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe was printed in the Dallas Morning News as a low-fat main-dish salad
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomatoes, diced
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 head lettuce, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 -4 teaspoons lime juice, fresh
- salt and pepper
- Trim chicken breasts of all visible fat. Bring chicken broth and cumin to a boil in a sauce pan and add chicken breasts. Reduce heat to low and simmer till chicken is done. (about 10 minutes) Do not allow to boil.
- Remove chicken from broth and cool. Use two forks, shred chicken and set aside.
- Bring the broth to a boil and reduce until it measures 1 cup. Cool.
- Stir in mayo and lime juice to taste. Toss the chicken with a small amount of the dressing and reserve the rest of the salad.
- Arrange chopped lettuce on serving platter. Starting from the outside, arrange a ring of kidney beans, then tomatoes, then corn and then a ring of green chilies. Put the chicken mixture in the middle.
- Sprinkle entire salad with cilantro. Drizzle salad with remaining dressing and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Serve with lime wedges.