Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Posted by request
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces spicy sausage
- 6 cups bread cubes, from day-old country-style loaf (3/4 inch cubes)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a small pan; pour melted butter into a 13x9 inch baking dish, swirling it around to coat the dish with the butter.
- In a medium skillet, crumble the sausage and brown it over med-high heat until no longer pink.
- Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Layer half the cubed bread in the buttered dish and sprinkle with half of the jalapeno, corn, and red bell pepper.
- Sprinkle with all of the sausage and layer half of the cheese on top.
- Repeat the layers (except for the sausage) ending with cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until thickened; then whisk in the milk.
- Season with salt and pepper; pour mixture over the contents in the baking dish; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and let set for 30 minutes at room temperature; position oven rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 350°.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until puffed and golden, and a knife inserted near the edge comes out clean; let rest for 10 minutes before serving.