Recipe by StephsTreats
Made with molasses instead of sugar, this turns out moist and delicious every time!
- 2 2⁄3 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 2⁄3 tablespoons butter or 2 2⁄3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup rapidly boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 425 degrees. Place 8" square baking dish (preferably glass) with drippings (butter) in oven while it heats.
- Place 2/3 cup cornmeal in medium bowl.
- Mix 1 1/3 cup cornmeal, salt, baking powder & soda in small bowl.
- Pour boiling water into medium bowl of cornmeal. The water must be *rapidly* boiling to form the proper mush!
- Whisk in buttermilk gradually, breaking up lumps as needed.
- Whisk in eggs & molasses.
- When you can smell the bacon fat, or the oven is heated, remove pan from oven, then add dry ingredients to wet, and mix until just moistened.
- Whisk in hot fat from pan just until incorporated.
- Pour batter into hot pan, and bake about 25 minutes, until top is golden brown and center tests clean with a toothpick.
- Cool 5 minutes before cutting, and enjoy!