Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Greenbeans with smoked bacon (or ham hock) and potatoes.
Make and share this Southern Green Beans and Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans green beans or 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh green beans
- 5 slices smoked bacon, cut up or 1 smoked ham hock
- 4 -5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- salt and pepper
- Fry the bacon or the ham hock until the fat starts to render out.
- Add canned green beans, including the water in the can.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the potatoes and just enough water to cover; cook for about 25 minutes.
- For fresh green beans:.
- Sauté the pork after you have washed and cut the green beans in half; add to pot. Cover with water. Add salt and pepper and cook until tender on low heat.
- Add in potatoes and cook a little longer until the potatoes are done.
This is definitely Southern USA and sooo good. Definitely comfort food.
I have made Green Beans & Potatoes Like this for years.( Married 55 years) I use bacon, Ham or Salt pork. My mother & grandmother always made them like this , Delicious. Thanks for posting this recipe so that other people can enjoy green beans prepared like this.
This is the way my grandmother always made green beans and potatoes. I used fresh green beans and varied slightly from the recipe, to try to eliminate fat. I used an equivalent amount of Canadian bacon and added a couple of teaspoons of ham base. Great summer side dish