Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A friend's mom passed this on to me. She and her husband had to relocate to Puerto Rico for his job and they spent quite a bit of time down there. When she came home, she brought a ton of new recipes to pass on to us. She and her husband had this at a small restaurant and they wouldn't give up the recipe. This is her take on it.
- MIX mayonnaise, sour cream, and tarragon.
- Stir in chicken, almonds and celery; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour to marry the flavors.
- When serving, divide the chicken salad between 2 bread slices.
- Top with lettuce and remaining bread slices.
- Serve with a dill pickle and potato chips.
I loved the sandwich but I made it without the almonds. The tarragon gave it a nice touch. I used dried tarragon instead of the leaves. I also added my chips into my sandwich. Love the crunch! A nice dill pickle on the side and I was ready to go!
This is exactly how I make my chicken salad, except I probably add a bit more tarragon, because I love it. If you don't care for sour cream, mayo will work well.
Absolutely loved it. the only thing I changed ommitting the salt. I made this for my neighbour and I. (OK she did most of the work; but the dill pickles were ones I had canned myself over a year ago..and of course who can turn down chips (certainly not me)