Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made up this recipe with a bunch of things we had on hand... it tastes wonderful. Don't worry about the alcohol content for kids- the alcohol cooks off ( well most of it anyway) leaving only the southern comfort taste.
- 3 large raw yams
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup (real)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup Southern Comfort
- Boil yams in water, on stove, until soft.
- After Yams are cool to touch, peel them, cut into thick chunks and put aside in 8 x 8 glass dish.
- Put rest of ingredients in deep non-stick saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high until the alcohol has boiled off ( smell gone)-stir constantly-this should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour mixture over set aside yams.
- Bake at 350 F until dish is bubbly.
- Let sit a few minutes before serving.
This was a big hit at our Thanksgiving get together. The Southern Comfort gave it a very nice mellow flavor - I think this is going to become a regular on our menu.
Great flavour & pretty easy to make. This recipe gets 5 for taste but only 3 for clear recipe instructions. There are not cooking times listed or suggested so you're pretty much on your own. I ended up steaming my yams (covered) too long, they probably only need about 5 mins to soften. As for the oven I baked, covered(?), for about 30 mins. I cut back the sauce and still had plenty (that may be cause my yams were overcooked & didn't soak up too much sauce). Regardless they tasted great and I won't make the same mistakes next time.
Nice change from mashed or baked yams :) DH loved the Southern Comfort :)