Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Gourmet magazine (Oct 08). I have not tried this but it looked very promising.
Make and share this Southeast Asian Squash Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil, divided
- 9.85 ml vegetable oil, divided
- 680.38 g butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3.69 ml cumin seed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 396.89 g can unsweetened coconut milk, divided (do not stir)
- 22.18-29.58 ml thai kitchen red curry paste
- 78.07 ml water
- 1 cinnamon stick (2- to 3-inch)
- 3 whole cloves
- 141.74 g Baby Spinach (5 cups packed)
- 14.79 ml asian fish sauce
- 59.14 ml roasted salted cashews, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Sauté squash with cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to skillet and cook onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup coconut milk from top of can and cook, stirring, until fat starts to separate and look glossy, about 2 minutes. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add squash, water, cinnamon, cloves, and remaining coconut milk and simmer, covered, until squash is tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook, covered, until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in fish sauce. Sprinkle with cashews.
- Serve with:
- jasmine rice.