Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
We love cauliflower in our house. This is an awesome and different way to prepare it with a South- West flavour! ***This recipe has been modified slightly May 30/06
- 3 cups cauliflower
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 coarsely chopped garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Steam cauliflower just until tender; drain. Melt butter in a medium size saucepan over medium heat.
- In a jar with a lid combine.
- flour, red pepper, salt, pepper, garlic and milk; shake until blended.
- Slowly add to butter or margarine in saucepan, stirring constantly until smooth. Add cheese and continue stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Add more milk to make a roux.
- (Thick sauce but not paste).
- Stir in chilies.
- Arrange cauliflower in a 2 quart baking dish; pour sauce over cauliflower, then sprinkle with bread crumbs if desired.
- Bake 5 to 10 min or until bubbling.
We really enjoyed this cauliflower dish with tonight's dinner. Cauliflower is my favorite veggie and I love this take on it. The only change I made was to use half & half vs. milk and canned mild green chilies. I also used fresh sourdough bread crumbs tossed with a little melted butter for the topping. DH loved this dish and went back for more. Will definitely make this delicious dish again very soon. Made for Make My Recipe Reunion tag, December, 2012.
Yummy! This has just the right amount of 'zing' for my kids to eat. Different take on an old favourite. Thanks.
We made this recipe last night as a side to Chicken in Creamy Chipotle Sauce. We really enjoyed it! It is the first time I have made cauliflower with cheese sauce (usually I roast it with rosemary and garlic) and I have to say that it was great! I will definitely make this recipe again. We followed all instructions and ingredients as posted. Thanks! Made for ZWT5.