Recipe by ~Leslie~
We love cauliflower in our house. This is an awesome and different way to prepare it with a South- West flavour! ***This recipe has been modified slightly May 30/06
Top Review by DailyInspiration
We really enjoyed this cauliflower dish with tonight's dinner. Cauliflower is my favorite veggie and I love this take on it. The only change I made was to use half & half vs. milk and canned mild green chilies. I also used fresh sourdough bread crumbs tossed with a little melted butter for the topping. DH loved this dish and went back for more. Will definitely make this delicious dish again very soon. Made for Make My Recipe Reunion tag, December, 2012.
- 3 cups cauliflower
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 coarsely chopped garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Steam cauliflower just until tender; drain. Melt butter in a medium size saucepan over medium heat.
- In a jar with a lid combine.
- flour, red pepper, salt, pepper, garlic and milk; shake until blended.
- Slowly add to butter or margarine in saucepan, stirring constantly until smooth. Add cheese and continue stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Add more milk to make a roux.
- (Thick sauce but not paste).
- Stir in chilies.
- Arrange cauliflower in a 2 quart baking dish; pour sauce over cauliflower, then sprinkle with bread crumbs if desired.
- Bake 5 to 10 min or until bubbling.