Recipe by *Pixie*
A light version of baked stuffed portobello mushrooms, suitable for Phase 1 of the South Beach diet and probably other diets as well. Submitted for Ready Set Cook Winter 2005. Note: spinach or mushroom haters should avoid this recipe.
Top Review by little_wing
Very very good, even if you aren't on the South Beach diet. I didn't have enough spinach so I added a bit of diced celery and some diced canadian bacon. Very tasty and meaty. Thanks for sharing!
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 5 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons grated lowfat mozzarella cheese (or a little more if you prefer)
- salt and pepper (to taste) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush the mushrooms and remove the stem and scoop out some of the gills so that a shallow cup is formed.
- Chop the stems and gills into small pieces.
- Mix 2 teaspoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon basil in a small glass bowl for a minute or so until well combined (should be cloudy looking).
- Turn the mushrooms gill side down on a nonstick baking pan and brush the non-gill side throughly with the olive oil mixture, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper as desired.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use the brush to coat a non stick frying pan with any remaining olive oil mixture then add 1/2 teaspoon more olive oil, the garlic and chopped mushroom and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the spinach, 1 teaspoon basil and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and cook stirring frequently for another 5 to 10 minutes until the spinach is completely wilted, remove from heat and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Whisk the eggs until yolk and white are well combined and then mix in the spinach mixture.
- Flip the mushrooms so that the gill side is upward and divide the spinach mixture evenly between the mushrooms being careful not to spill egg on the pan.
- Sprinkle each mushroom with 1 tablespoon grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the mushrooms are done and cheese is lightly browned.