- 1⁄2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sourdough starter, mix
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, melted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 3⁄4 cups bread flour or 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast, if starter is active you may not need this
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. In a bowl, pour boiling coffee over caraway seed. Cool and then add to 2 cups rye flour and sourdough starter mix; mix well. Let stand for 4 to 8 hours in a warm place.
- 2. To the caraway mixture add molasses, powdered milk, salt, melted shortening, milk, flour, and yeast; mix well. Cover the bowl and let dough rise until doubled.
- 3. Place dough on a floured surface and knead until dough is firm - one that will not flatten or spread. Shape dough into 2 round loaves; place on a baking sheet. Let rise until double again then bake at 350*F for 30 minutes, or until done.
- Makes 2 loaves.