Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is a dal I was taught by one of my Maharashtrian friends, Amit.
- 1 cup red gram, split
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons red chili powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 2 tablespoons jaggery, crushed
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (black)
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- vegetable oil (to fry)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pressure cook the toor dal.
- Add turmeric and asofoetida.
- Mash the dal.
- Add tamarind pulp and chilli powder.
- Add water to make it of pouring consistency.
- Heat oil in a vessel.
- Add asofoetida and mustard seeds.
- Once the latter stop spluttering, add bay leaves and the crushed garlic.
- Add the dal once the garlic turns golden brown.
- Add salt and jaggery.
- Boil well.
- Remove from fire and garnish with corriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.