This was the first casserole I ever made, and it is still by far my favourite! The sour cream along with the green olives and cheese makes this casserole very flavourful. The amounts of the olives, green peppers, onions, and mushrooms can be varied based on your own personal preference, my measurements are just a guideline. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper (about half of a large bell pepper)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimento stuffed olive
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 2 cups colby cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken (about 1 chicken breast)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs, tossed with a few teaspoons melted butter, for topping chicken casserole
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook and drain macaroni, following package directions; place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium low heat. Add chicken and cook until browned.
- Add chopped onion, mushrooms, and chopped green bell pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until onion is softened and mushrooms are browned.
- Add skillet mixture to macaroni with chopped olives, shredded cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper, chicken, and milk.
- Transfer chicken and macaroni mixture to a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle buttered bread crumbs over the top of macaroni and chicken casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 35 minutes, or until chicken casserole is bubbly and breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
This was yummy! The pimiento-stuffed olives really contributed a lot of flavor to this dish. The next time I make it though, I'd like to use a jalapeno pepper (instead of green bell pepper) so the mix of olives and peppers add a bit of a continental touch. But other than that, I think this is a super dooper dinner dish, especially for a busy night because it's quite easy to prepare. Thank you for sharing your recipe, CuddleBug10k. Made for Spring 2012 Pick-A-Chef.