Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
Got this from a book at the library called "Healthy Cooking." All of my Vegan family members love it. When I make it for my hubby and son and I, I use real sour cream and real chocolate powder and real eggs. My son loves them with whipped cream on top and chocolate chips sprinkled on top of that. YUM. We use real maple syrup on them too. I double this recipe when I make it for us. The doubled recipe makes 6 waffles. As is, makes 3 waffles.
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached flour
- 3 tablespoons carob powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup imitation sour cream or 1⁄3 cup sour cream substitute
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons light unsulfured molasses
- 2 eggs, beaten (for vegan, use egg substitute)
- Combine the flours, carob and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, beat together the sour cream, yogurt, oil, molasses and eggs or egg substitute if you are using those until mixture is smooth.
- Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour batter onto a hot, lightly oiled waffle iron and bake until cooked throughout.
- Serve hot with real maple syrup for breakfast or serve warm or cold with fruit for a dessert.