Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yesterday we had a very hearty soup called Soupe de Bonne Femme which translates as Old Wives Soup. I dished it up to Malcolm, Megan and myself and we were totally stuffed! Very easy to make and tasted great. It needs very little ingredients and inexpensive to make.
- Cut off larger green endings of leeks and dispose. Wash tender white part of leeks well and cut into small circles.
- Cook leeks for 1 minute with 1 Tablespoon of salted butter.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of water and cook for 5 minutes more on low heat.
- Peel potatoes and also cut them into circles.
- Add them to leeks with 6 cups of water, salt and pepper to taste. Let soup boil very slowly for 45 minutes.
- Butter the toast (with salted butter!) and put one piece in the bottom of each soup bowl.
- Pour the soup directly on top of the toast and serve immediately.
- Make sure you use French bread with plenty of salted butter as this is whats gives such a fantastic flavour. You can also add some bacon just before the leeks are added and you can also add some green salad if serving as a main meal.