Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is famous in the Indian hills of Mussorie! The people there are warm, loving and very caring. They cook the best of Indian recipes with their biggest ingredient being TLC - Tender Loving Care! They use the minimal of ingredients and dish out the tastiest of creations Indian cuisine has till date! Strangely enough, a recipe like this isn't popular in other parts of India because of the inavailabilty of Kulad dal, a brownish and whitish colour lentil. If I ever happen to be lucky enough to visit Mussorie, this is one recipe I'll be REALLY GLAD to have! In appearance, this resembles Rajma! Preparation time includes overnight soaking time of lentils.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili paste
- 1 cup kulad dal, soaked in plenty of water (lentils)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the prepared pastes and stir-fry until the raw smell is gone.
- Drain and add the lentils.
- Cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add water and salt.
- Mix well.
- Cook, covered for 10-15 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Garnish with corriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Black and White Roti for a complete meal in lentil and roti heaven!