Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The best vegan mac n' cheese I've ever had! The recipe comes from the Soul Vegetarian Cook Book, but I've only had this at their restaurants. I'm trying it tomorrow--I'll let you know how it goes!
- Boil water in medium sauce pan and add noodles. Turn off the heat. Let macaroni stand in hot water until al dente (about 5 minutes). Drain in colander. Run cold water over noodles to stop cooking process.
- Blend tofu and soy milk in blender until smooth. Pour into mixing bowl. Add tahini, nutritional yeast, turmeric, and salt to taste. Mix until smooth.
- Add noodles to cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Place in lightly oiled casserole dish, top with pats of margarine.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing.
I live around the corner from the Soul Veg restaurant and this is definitely not the recipe they use. I would recommend not only cutting the tumeric in half but toasting (30s on a hot, dry skillet--taken off the heat) it lightly to get rid of some of the strong flavor. I added 1/4 cup of soymilk to the final mixture. Instead of just salt, I used VegeSalt and ground black pepper. Also, this is the soul food version of mac and chees that's more like a casserole than the Kraft version. If you're not used to that, you won't understand the texture difference.
Not the same recipe from the Soul Veg restaurants--not even close. That said, creaminess is good for a vegan mac & "cheese.". I urge cutting turmeric in half (too yellow at posted dose, and the taste is too pronounced). Do not skimp on pasta, err toward more. Taste is missing something... Maybe purÃ©e some onion & garlic? Also, too much tahini... maybe down 1/4th? As is is not for company, but a strong foundation.
Awful. I'm judging it against Kraft, but I would not eat it. It tastes like what it is.