Baked Mac N Cheese With Potato Chip Topping
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I like using both Vermont white cheddar and Wisconsin extra-sharp cheddar cheese)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- crushed kettle cooked potato chips (i use cape cod 40% reduced fat, like it matters with this recipe!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the pasta to al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, in a separate pot, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about 5 minute Make sure it is free of lumps.
- Stir in milk, onion, bay leaf and paprika. Simmer for 10 minute and remove bay leaf.
- Temper in the egg.
- Stir in 3/4 of the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and potato chips.
- Bake 30 minute Let stand for 5 minutes before serving, then bask in the compliments during dinner!
Join The Conversation
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a mom with an awesome 9 yr old daughter who loves to try new and different foods. My husband is Fillipino and eats some very strange things that I just can't bring myself to even try! I work part time during the day...who am I kidding, it's more like full time, and the hubs works 3rd shift as a Corrections Sgt. He cooks 3 nights a week (God I'm lucky!) but it has to be relatively simple. I read cookbooks like most women read Danielle Steele novels, can't live without my slow cooker, swim every chance I get and am constantly trying to improve who I am and make my small mark on the world before I'm gone.