4 hrs 30 mins
This is an authentic cowboy meal from the days of the settlers. Have I made it? Nope, and don't intend to! Found in the book, A Cowboy Christmas. The book says, "This traditional cowboy dish is not for the faint of heart."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 fresh beef liver (, cut in bite-size pieces)
- 1/2 fresh beef heart (, cut in bite-size pieces)
- marrow gut, cut in bite-size pieces (from 1 cow)
- cow sweetbread, cut in bite-size pieces (from 1 cow)
- beef brains, cut in bite-size pieces (from 1 cow)
- 1 cup chopped beef fat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper (chopped in small pieces)
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Put all the ingredients except the brains in a large pot with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- 2Skim off foam and continue cooking until all meat is tender, two to three hours.
- 3Add small amounts of water as necessary.
- 4Add the brains very slowly until the gravy is thick.
- 5Stir often and cook as slowly as possible from the beginning.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Son-Of-A-Gun Beef Organs Stew
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.0
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 37.2 mg
- Sodium 416.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: