Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an authentic cowboy meal from the days of the settlers. Have I made it? Nope, and don't intend to! Found in the book, A Cowboy Christmas. The book says, "This traditional cowboy dish is not for the faint of heart."
- 1⁄4 fresh beef liver (, cut in bite-size pieces)
- 1⁄2 fresh beef heart (, cut in bite-size pieces)
- marrow gut, cut in bite-size pieces (from 1 cow)
- cow sweetbread, cut in bite-size pieces (from 1 cow)
- beef brains, cut in bite-size pieces (from 1 cow)
- 1 cup chopped beef fat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper (chopped in small pieces)
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put all the ingredients except the brains in a large pot with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Skim off foam and continue cooking until all meat is tender, two to three hours.
- Add small amounts of water as necessary.
- Add the brains very slowly until the gravy is thick.
- Stir often and cook as slowly as possible from the beginning.
Difficult to make? Yup. Difficult to FATHOM making? Absofreakinglutely.