Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a lower-fat, lower-salt version of my carrot soup (Creamy Spicy Carrot Soup). It's still rich and creamy, with a great flavor and a bright color: very pretty *and* very tasty. Serve hot or cold.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in the bottom of a large pot.
- Add onion and sauté until onion is somewhat translucent.
- Add potato cubes and cook, stirring frequently, until cubes are slightly browned.
- Add water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add carrots, garlic, and celery.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for twenty minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Puree soup in food processor until smooth.
- Add milk, dried spices, and_half_ the fresh dill.
- In a small bowl, blend together yogurt, lemon juice, and the rest of the dill.
- To serve, ladle carrot soup into bowl and garnish with yogurt sauce.