Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
A very peppery pancake from Nice, made with chickpea flour (and therefore gluten free). Adapted from a recipe at Al Dente (after a recipe by Mark Bittman in the _New York Times_). http://bit.ly/cleMr5
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaf (optional)
- Place 12" skillet or pizza pan in oven; preheat oven to 450°F.
- Sift chickpea flour into large bowl. Stir in salt and pepper, then whisk in water until there are no lumps. Add 2 tbsp olive oil. Cover and let stand at least 30 minutes (or up to 12 hours). Batter should be about as thick as heavy cream.
- If using onion and/or rosemary, stir them into the batter. Pull preheated pan out of oven and add 2 tbsp olive oil; swirl to coat pan. Pour in batter and bake 12-15 minutes, until firm and edges are set. If top looks dry, brush with 1-2 tbsp more olive oil; place pan under broiler until top is spotty brown. Cut into wedges and serve hot.
Delicious as a gluten-free flat bread option. I used freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste with no optionals. I do like adding pressed garlic also.