Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
An easy to prepare recipe for a sandwich that incorporates goat cheese...yum! The recipe calls for pasilla or Anaheim chiles, but pasillas are larger and spicier...so use at your discretion.
- 2 pasilla chiles (can use canned chiles if it is easier to get) or 2 anaheim chilies (can use canned chiles if it is easier to get)
- 8 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 4 ciabatta rolls, cut in half (or any loaf of Italian bread, you can cut it into 3 inch wide sections)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated (if watery, drain it slightly and then cut into thin slices instead of grating it)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- To roast the peppers:
- Preheat the broiler. Place the chiles under the broiler and cook, turning frequently until skin is charred all over. Repeat with all chiles.
- Place the chiles in a ziplock bag and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Using a small sharp knife, scrape off the charred skin, cut off the stems and then cut the chiles into 1/2 inch wide strips. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonskillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel but do not wash it.
- To assemble:.
- Pull out some of the center of each roll to create a well. Brush the outside of each roll with olive oil. Place the bottom pieces oil-side down. Place the mozzarella evenly over these pieces, followed by the bacon, chiles, slices of tomato, and goat cheese. Place the remaining 4 pieces of read on top, oiled side up.
- Stovetop method:.
- heat the same skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Put the sandwiches in the skillet and press firmly with a spatula to flatten them slightly.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly browned and the mozzarella has begun to melt.
- Uncover and then turn the sandwiches over, again pressing down firmly with the spatula.
- Cover and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Uncover and turn them over again and cook for another minute.
- You can also use the sandwich maker or panini grill, just follow the manufacturer's instructions.