Recipe by TxGriffLover
From the "Smokin" cookbook Makes about 1 1/2 cups, may be doubled easily for a large crowd. This recipe is to be made using a stove top smoker.
- 1 smoked trout fillet
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped cream cheese
- 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced very thinly
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper (or black)
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced chives (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Smoke the trout according to the recipe Stove Top Smoker Smoked Whole Trout. (See related recipe).
- Cool to room temperature.
- Pick over the trout fillet, removing any fine bones or pieces of skin but leaving the trout in the largest pieces possible.
- Stir the trout, cream cheese, scallions, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together gently in a mixing bowl until blended, leaving the trout in smallish pieces. (For an even chunkier spread, beat all the ingredients except the trout together, then gently fold in the trout)
- Taste and stir in a little more salt and/or pepper if you like.
- The spread may be made up to two days in advance and stored, covered in the refrigerator.
- Bring to room temperature and sprinkle the chives over the top before serving.
- If you're making canapes or stuffing celery with the spread, sprinkle a little of the chives over each.