Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This sounds like an odd thing to do, but it turns out really well. Can be done on any kind of smoker, including a stove top unit. Hickory works fine, but oak or applewood are better. (I am also putting up instructions for tomatoes and making chipotles at some time in the future. Stay tuned.)
- Fire up your smoker and do your normal smoking of what ever your main course is.
- 45 minutes before your entree is done, place the potatoes on a wire rack that has been brushed with oil. Be sure they are in a single layer.
- Put the rack in the smoker alongside the entree.
- When your main is done, the potatoes will have a light, earthy smoke flavor and should be cooked through.
- How done you want them is a judgment call on your part. It's according to taste. Same thing goes for the amount of smoke you put on the vegetables.
Yup, these are very good! I did use my stovetop smoker and about a tablespoon of oak. I do like a softer texture to my potatoes, so I let them cook for about an hour. They turned out tender, smokey, and delicious!