Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A family tradition, and one of my favorite comfort foods. The blending of flavors makes this simple meal one I prepare often.
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans cut green beans (do not drain)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- Slice smoked sausage on the diagonal into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Brown over medium heat in large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are transparent.
- Add potatoes and green beans.
- Add water until all ingredients are covered.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for at least 1/2 hour, adding more water if necessary.
- The longer it cooks the better it tastes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls with garlic bread.
I was looking for a recipe to use up some smoked sausage. I followed the recipe other then I drained about half the broth from each can. I really enjoyed this. This was quick and easy to make.
I made this today for dinner. I used all the ingredients listed, I just used a different preperation method. I put all the ingredients in my crock pot and cooked it on high for 4 hours. Very easy to prepare, with minimal ingredients. I also added a dash of pepper flakes. One thing I will do next time is to brown the smoked sausage in a pan before adding it to the crock pot. This was pure comfort food for us. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
1/3/09 . Really easy to make and very tasty. I think this would be perfect if you are feeling under the weather as it is warming & comforting, has a lovely light/thin broth with chunks of simple foods. My family and I really enjoyed this, thank you for posting.