2 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 lbs sweet potatoes (about 12 large)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 mcintosh apples or 6 macoun apples, peeled,cored,and cut into eighths
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2Scrub potatoes, then prick several times with a knife or fork.
- 3Bake 1 hour, or until very soft when pierced with a knife.
- 4Combine orange juice, cream, butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- 5Remove potatoes from oven.
- 6Once cooled, scoop out the insides with a spoon.
- 7Place 1/2 of sweet potato meat into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- 8Add 1/2 of juice-and-cream mixture, blend until combined but not smooth, and pour into a large baking dish.
- 9Repeat with remaining potatoes and juice-and-cream mixture, and add to baking dish.
- 10Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 11Add apple wedges and brown sugar; cook about 10 minutes, turning apples occasionally, until lightly browned on both sides.
- 12Place on top of sweet potatoes and bake 30 minutes, until heated through.
- 13(Note: If refrigerating before baking, cook 45 minutes, or until heated through.).
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Apples
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.2
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 50.2 mg
- Sodium 841.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 29.7 g
- Protein 4.5 g