Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 6 hrs
From Cooking My Way Back Home by Mitch Rosenthal
Make and share this Slow-Roasted Tomato-Basil Tart With St. George Cheddar recipe from Food.com.
For the slow-roasted tomatoes
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes, sliced in half crosswise
- To prepare the tomatoes, preheat the oven to 225°.
- On a sheet pan, arrange tomatoes cut side up. Drizzle evenly with oil, then sprinkle with rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place tomatoes in oven and roast for 4 hours or until the moisture is gone. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To prepare the dough, in a bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Scatter butter over the mixture and, using your fingers, gently press ingredients together until they resemble a coarse meal.
- Drizzle water over top and, using a fork, gently stir and toss just until the dough comes together.
- Gather the dough into a ball and place it on a lightly floured work surface. Flatten dough into a thick disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- To finish the tart, position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 375°.
- In a saute pan, heat oil over low heat and stir in onion. Cover and sweat for 10-15 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent. Do not allow it to color. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and let cool completely.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough into a round about 12 inches in diameter. Carefully transfer the round to prepared sheet pan.
- Layer half the cheese on the round, leaving a 1-inch border uncovered.
- In a small bowl, combine cooled onion, basil, and creme fraiche and mix well.
- Spread onion mixture evenly over cheese layer. Top with roasted tomatoes, then cover with remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper; top with a drizzle of oil.
- Lift the uncovered edge of the tart, folding it onto itself to form uniformly spaced pleats every few inches around the perimeter. Brush the upturned edge with the egg wash.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool. Slice and serve.