Recipe by Kerena
From Cuisine At Home...." You can also make this recipe using steak. Substitute 1½ pounds of flank steak for the chicken, then brown it just like the chicken"
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 12 fajita-size flour tortillas, warmed (6-inch)
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown chicken in oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat, 2–3 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add onion, garlic, oregano, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and cayenne to the pan; cook 2–3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, scraping up browned bits from chicken; bring mixture to a boil. Transfer tomato mixture to a 4–6-qt. slow cooker. Add reserved chicken and drippings. Cover slow cooker and cook 3–4 hours on high setting, or 6–7 hours on low setting. Remove chicken to a plate; let rest 5 minutes. Shred chicken into strips.
- Purée tomato mixture in slow cooker with a handheld blender; stir in lime juice and season with salt. Reserve 1 cup sauce, then toss chicken with remaining sauce.
- Serve chicken in tortillas with Pepper Salad, guacamole, sour cream, and reserved sauce.