Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 3 1⁄2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled,cored,and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a 3 1/2-quart electric slow cooker, toss together the apples, brown sugar, and lemon juice.
- Cover and cook on the high heat setting 3 hours or until the apples are very tender.
- Mash up the apples with a potato masher.
- Stir in the cinnamon.
- Serve over vanilla ice cream, if desired.
This is not only the best applesauce I've ever made - it's also the best applesauce I've ever eaten! Wonderful recipe, and so easy. One word of caution though, I used my apple peeler/slicer/corer to prepare the apples and the slices come out thin. The applesauce was fully cooked and getting ready to burn after 1 hour, 45 minutes. If you use one of these gadgets (mine is from Pampered Chef), watch the cooking time.
Funny, the only way I can think to describe this applesauce is rich...not normally how I would EVER describe applesauce, but there it is! I used half Granny Smiths and half Cortland apples. I also could not resist adding dried cherries to this as my DH is into the flavored applesauces. It took less than the 3 hours to cook and I also "whirled" mine in the blender for the smoother texture my family loves. My favorite kind of cooking here...minimal ingredients, minimal effort...maximum taste!
Excellent applesauce! I used Jonathan apples instead of Granny Smith because that's what I picked at the orchard. After cooking them in the crockpot, I put the mixture into my blender until it was the consistency I wanted. My kids loved this and had it for breakfast this morning! Thanks!