Recipe by Mille®
I don't believe that this recipe is regional at all - I believe it can be had just about anywhere in Scotland and even the very north of England
- 4 ounces bacon fat (may substitute vegetable oil) or 4 ounces beef suet (may substitute vegetable oil)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 -6 ounces chicken stock
- 8 ounces old-fashioned oatmeal, lightly toasted (do not use instant or quick-cooking oats)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the fat or heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and golden.
- Add the oatmeal and mix in well.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock and allow it to be absorbed by the oatmeal.
- Season well and serve with light creamy mashed potatoes.
- (Skirlie may also be used as a stuffing for any kind of game bird or poultry. It is also a very good accompaniment to rich meaty and gamy stews).