If you are hankering for blueberry muffins, but don't have a muffin pan handy. Or maybe you just don't feel like cranking up the oven on a hot summer day. You can cook these in a skillet, using a muffin batter the same you would use pancake batter. And the results are really good! Why not just make blueberry pancakes? Though recipes will vary, most pancake and muffin recipes call for equal amounts of flour and eggs. But while pancakes call for more liquid, muffins get more (often way more) sugar, fat and baking powder. That's why muffins are dense and cakelike, while pancakes are light and fluffy. So while muffin batter cooked in a skillet may resemble a pancake, the taste is all muffin. You can even top the muffins with a blend of cinnamon-sugar (just as you would a muffin); this caramelizes beautifully when you flip them. And while muffins can take half an hour to bake, these pancake-style muffins cook up in just minutes. Recipe from J.M. Hirsch, AP food editor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1In large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and lemon zest.
- 2In separate bowl or 2-cup liquid measuring cup, whisk together the milk, egg, oil and vanilla.
- 3Add the liquid ingredients to the dry, then stir just until a batter forms.
- 4Gently stir in the blueberries. Set aside.
- 5In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- 6Heat a large skillet over medium.
- 7Coat the skillet with cooking spray, reduce heat to low, then ladle batter into the skillet, using about 1/4 to 1/3 cup per muffin.
- 8Do not crowd the pan, as the muffins will spread.
- 9Sprinkle the top of each muffin with a bit of the topping.
- 10Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until risen and browned on the bottom.
- 11Use a spatula to flip and cook for another 2-4 minutes.
- 12Repeat with remaining batter.
- 13Note: This recipe also works well with white whole wheat flour as with all-purpose flour, so substitute equally if you want a whole-grain option.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Blueberry Muffin Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.1
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 55.0 mg
- Sodium 615.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 36.0 g
- Protein 10.5 g