Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I haven't made these yet but found the recipe on a newspaper clipping in Mom's grey cookbook. Sure that either she or my big sister made these for us one Christmas.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups pre-sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) jarsred glace cherries
- powdered sugar
- Preheat over to 300 degrees.
- Cream shortening and sugar together thoroughly. Mix in egg yolks and flavor extracts. Add flour gradually. Shape dough around glace cherry and form into balls approximately one inch around. Reserve 12 cherries and cut into quarters. Press lightly on top of cookies. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Roll cookies in powdered sugar while still warm.
My Mom makes these every year for Christmas and they are a wonderful tradition. She adds a drop or two of red food coloring to tint the dough pink. Thanks for sharing the recipe here !