Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Browning the bacon, chicken and vegetables before adding to the crock pot creates deep rich flavors in both the chicken and sauce. After the saute, the crock pot does all the work. Serve with a crusty baguette or coucous.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces white mushrooms or 12 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups merlot red wine
- 2 large fresh thyme sprigs
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper & lightly coat with flour. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick saute pan over medium heat.
- Add bacon and cook until golden and just crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain bacon on paper towels. Set aside. Discard drippings.
- Using same saute pan, melt 2 TB butter (or heat oil if using); add chicken and cook until lightly browned, 3 minutes per side. Set chicken aside.
- Melt remaining 1 TB butter or oil; saute mushrooms until edges begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, onions and garlic; cook until vegetables just begin to soften.
- Transfer vegetables to crock pot. Pour in the broth.
- Arrange chicken on top. Sprinkle bacon over chicken. Add wine and thyme sprigs.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
I thought the recipe was great. I added carrots so there would be a vegetable.
Easy, straightforward, and fast. We've made this numerous times, and it's always excellent. I will say that it cooks *very* quickly in my crockpot, so now I just make it on the stovetop.
A great family dinner and a lovely meal to come home to after a day out. I cut each of the boneless chicken thighs into three pieces. The dusting in flour and browning in butter/oil definitely adds to the consistancy of the sauce. Served with mashed potatoes and some steamed veggies. Thank you for sharing.